Last modified: September 8, 2021
University Small Animal Clinic (“Company” or “We”) respects your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy.
This policy describes the types of information we may collect from you or that you may provide when you visit the website universitysmallanimal.com (our “Website”) and our practices for collecting, using, maintaining, protecting, and disclosing that information.
This policy applies to information we collect:
- On this Website.
- In email, text, and other electronic messages between you and this Website.
- Through mobile and desktop applications you download from this Website, which provide dedicated non-browser-based interaction between you and this Website.
- When you interact with our advertising and applications on third-party websites and services, if those applications or advertising include links to this policy.
- Through petdesk.com when you are making an appointment and through our online pharmacy when requesting or filling prescriptions
- When accessing our Facebook page, or Google links within that page
- On paycor.com if you are applying for employment
It does not apply to information collected by:
- Us offline or through any other means, including on any other website operated by Company or any third party[ (including our affiliates and subsidiaries)]; or
- Any third party (including our affiliates and subsidiaries), including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from or on the Website]
Children Under the Age of 16
Our Website is not intended for children under 16 years of age, and we encourage parents and guardians to take an active role in their children’s online activities. No one under age 16 may provide any personal information to or on the Website. We do not knowingly collect personal information from children under 16. If you are under 16, do not use or provide any information on this Website or through any of its features, register on the Website, make any purchases through the Website, use any of the interactive or public comment features of this Website, or provide any information about yourself to us, including your name, address, telephone number, email address, or any screen name or user name you may use. If we learn we have collected or received personal information from a child under 16 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 16, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information We Collect About You and How We Collect It
We collect several types of information from and about users of our Website, including information:
- By which you may be personally identified, such as name, date of birth, postal address, e-mail address, telephone numbers and/or any other identifier by which you may be contacted online or offline (“personal information”);
- That is about you but individually does not identify you, such as age, gender, languages spoken, areas of interest; and/or
- About your internet connection, the equipment you use to access our Website, and usage details.
We collect this information:
- Directly from you when you provide it to us.
- Automatically as you navigate through the site. Information collected automatically may include usage details, including dates, times and length of usage, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies and web beacons, including pixel tags, and other tracking technologies.
- From third parties, for example, our business partners.
Information You Provide to Us
The information we collect on or through our Website may include:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our Website. This includes information provided at the time of subscribing to any booking system or other services posting material, or requesting further services. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with our Website.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Your search queries on the Website.
You also may provide information to be published or displayed (hereinafter, “posted”) on public areas of the Website, or transmitted to other users of the Website or third parties (collectively, “User Contributions“). Your User Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. Although [we limit access to certain pages/you may set certain privacy settings for such information by logging into your account profile], please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other users of the Website with whom you may choose to share your User Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your User Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons.
Information We Collect Through Automatic Data Collection Technologies
As you navigate through and interact with our Website, we may use automatic data collection technologies to collect certain information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including:
- Details of your visits to our Website, including traffic data, location data, logs and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on the Website.
- Information about your computer and internet connection, including your IP address, operating system, and browser type.
We also may use these technologies to collect information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or other online services (behavioral tracking). Click here for information on how you can opt-out of behavioral tracking on this website and how we respond to web browser signals and other mechanisms that enable consumers to exercise choice about behavioral tracking.
The information we collect automatically is only statistical data and does not include personal information, but we may maintain it or associate it with personal information we collect in other ways or receive from third parties. It helps us to improve our Website and to deliver a better and more personalized service, including by enabling us to:
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns.
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual interests.
- Speed up your searches.
- Recognize you when you return to our Website.
The technologies we use for this automatic data collection may include:
- Flash Cookies. Certain features of our Website may use local stored objects (or Flash cookies) to collect and store information about your preferences and navigation to, from, and on our Website. Flash cookies are not managed by the same browser settings as are used for browser cookies. For information about managing your privacy and security settings for Flash cookies, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- Web Beacons. Pages of our Website [and our e-mails] may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Company, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or [opened an email] and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
We do not collect personal information automatically, but we may tie this information to personal information about you that we collect from other sources or you provide to us.
We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly. For information about how you can opt-out of receiving targeted advertising from many providers, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
How We Use Your Information
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal information:
- To present our Website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To provide you with notices about your account/subscription (if any), including expiration and renewal notices.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our Website or any products or services we offer or provide though it.
- To allow you to participate in interactive features on our Website.
- To monitor and analyze trends, usage and activities
- For remarketing and retargeting advertisements
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information
- For any other purpose with your consent
We may use the information we have collected from you to enable us to display advertisements to our advertisers’ target audiences. Even though we do not disclose your personal information for these purposes without your consent, if you click on or otherwise interact with an advertisement, the advertiser may assume that you meet its target criteria.
Disclosure of Your Information
We may disclose information in an aggregated, anonymized, and/or de-identified form that cannot reasonably be used to identify any individual, without restriction.
- To our parent, subsidiaries and affiliates.
- To contractors, service providers, and other third parties we use to support our business.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Website users is among the assets transferred.
- To third parties to market their products or services to you if you have these disclosures. For more information, see Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information.
- To fulfill the purpose for which you provide it. For example, if you give us an email address to use the “email a friend” feature of our Website, we will transmit the contents of that email and your email address to the recipients.
- For any other purpose disclosed by us when you provide the information.
- For any other legitimate purposes permitted by applicable law.
- With your consent.
We may also disclose your personal information to third parties:
- To comply with any court order, law, or legal process, including to respond to any government or regulatory request.
- If we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to protect the rights, property, or safety of our business, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
Retention of Personal Information
We will retain your personal information as needed to fulfill the purposes for which it was collected. We will retain and use your personal information as necessary to comply with our business requirements, legal obligations, resolve disputes, protect our assets, and enforce our rights and agreements.
Choices About How We Use and Disclose Your Information
We strive to provide you with choices regarding the personal information you provide to us. We have created mechanisms to provide you with the following control over your information:
- Disclosure of Your Information for Third-Party Advertising. If you do not want us to share your personal information with unaffiliated or non-agent third parties for promotional purposes, you can opt-out by emailing us at email@example.com or by completing the Data Privacy Request Form.
- Promotional Offers from the Company. If you do not wish to have your email address or contact information used by the Company to promote our own or third parties’ products or services, you can opt-out by completing the Data Privacy Request Form or by sending us an email stating your request to firstname.lastname@example.org. If we have sent you a promotional email, you may send us a return email asking to be omitted from future email distributions. This opt-out does not apply to information provided to the Company as a result of a product purchase, product or service experience or other transactions.
- Targeted Advertising. If you do not want us to use information that we collect or that you provide to us to deliver advertisements according to our advertisers’ target-audience preferences, you can opt-out by completing the Data Privacy Request Form or by sending us an email stating your request to email@example.com.
We do not control third parties’ collection or use of your information to serve interest-based advertising. However, these third parties may provide you with ways to choose not to have your information collected or used in this way. You can opt-out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) on the NAI’s website.
Your California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident, California law may provide you with additional rights and choices regarding our use of your personal information. To learn more about your California privacy rights, visit https://oag.ca.gov/privacy/ccpa.
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our Website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or write us at 8008 Carondelet Ave. Clayton, Missouri 63105.
Nevada residents who wish to exercise their sale opt-out rights under Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 603A may submit a request to this designated address: email@example.com. However, please know we do not currently sell data triggering that statute’s opt-out requirements.
Keeping your information safe is important to us. We maintain technical, physical, and administrative security measures designed to provide reasonable protection for your information that we collect against loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, and alteration. For example, we: (a) work to update our security practices to implement methods to protect your personal information, (b) review our security procedures carefully, (c) comply with applicable laws and security standards, and (d) train our staff and require them to safeguard your personal information.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Website, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information transmitted to our Website. Any transmission of personal information is at your own risk. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on the Website.
CCPA Privacy Notice for California Residents
California Consumer Privacy Act
If you are a California resident, you have rights under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) and can make certain requests regarding your personal information. We will fulfill each of these requests to the extent required by law.
- You can ask us what personal information we have about you, including a list of categories of your personal information that we have sold and a list of categories of your personal information that we have shared with another company for a business purpose.
- You can ask us to provide you with this information up to two times in a rolling twelve-month period. When you make this request, the information provided may be limited to personal information we collected about you in the previous 12 months.
- You can ask us to delete your personal information.
- Once we receive a request, we will delete the personal information (to the extent required by law) we hold about you as of the date of your request from our records and direct any service providers to do the same. In some cases, deletion may be accomplished through de-identification of the information. Choosing to delete your personal information may impact your ability to use our website and online features.
- You can ask that we stop selling your personal information.
- We do not share your personal information for money. We do share personal information within our family of businesses and with certain third parties, which may be considered a “sale” under California law even if we don’t receive money in exchange for the information. For purposes of California law, we may share with these parties all categories of personal information, except for background and criminal information, biometric information, and government identifiers. We do not knowingly sell the personal information of minors under 16 years of age.
We will not discriminate against you for exercising your rights under CCPA. Specifically, we will not deny access to our services or products, charge a different rate for our services or products, or provide a different quality of service.
Opt-Out of the Sale of Personal Information
You have the right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information. Under CCPA when you use our website, any authorized advertising partners may collect cookies and similar technologies for their own purposes and this activity may qualify as a “sale” under CCPA. You can make choices to allow or prevent such uses. To opt-out of our making information relating to cookies, and similar technologies, available to third parties for their own purposes fill out the Data Privacy Request Form.
Verifying Your Identity for Requests to Access or Delete Personal Information
We take the privacy of your personal information seriously and want to ensure that we provide only you or your authorized agent with your personal information. The CCPA also requires that we verify the identity of each person who makes a request to know what personal information we have about you or to delete the personal information we have about you.
What Personal Information Do I Provide to Verify My Identity?
To verify your identity, we ask you to provide your:
How Do You Verify My Identity?
We may verify your identity in a few different ways. We’ve partnered with a third-party identification service to help us verify your identity and prevent fraudulent requests. When you make your request, you will be asked to answer a few questions about yourself to help us validate your identity.
In some instances, we may ask you to provide other documentation to verify your identity. If this happens, we will reach out to you directly with this request.
What If You Can’t Verify My Identity?
If we can’t verify your identity, we will not be able to process your request to know what personal information we have about you or to delete the personal information we have about you. If we are unable to verify your identity with a high degree of certainty, we will only be able to provide a report with category-level information and we may not be able to delete some of your information.
How to Submit a Request Using an Authorized Agent
An authorized agent is a person or business who has authorization to request to know what personal information we have about you, to delete the personal information we have about you, or to opt-out of the sale of personal information on behalf of a California resident. Authorized agents use the same links described above to submit requests.
If you are submitting a request on behalf of another person, we require a valid power of attorney and a signed attestation form. If you do not have a valid power of attorney, we require an authorization document and a copy of the consumer’s government-issued photo identification in addition to our attestation form. Our attestation form can be downloaded from the request form.
How Do I Send You My Documentation?
If you submit a request on our website, you will be asked to upload this documentation when you submit your request. If you submit your request over the phone, you will be asked to email your forms to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note, you will have 10 business days to provide all required documentation.
California Policy Prevails Over General Policy
California Shine the Light
If you are a California resident and request information about how to exercise your third-party disclosure choices or CCPA rights, please click here.